Friday, October 21, 2011

SOME RANDOM THOUGHTS FROM BASIL.
We have been on the road 37 days and tonight, for the first time, we are staying in a motel on Dauphin Island. We are just a few feet from Mobil Bay and about 5 or 600 yards from the Gulf of Mexico.
Of all the elements we have faced; wind, long climbs, near 100 degree temperatures, lack of services, very crappy RV campgrounds, the last thing I expected was cold weather, especially here in the deep south. It was 39 degrees when we woke up this morning. The day before that, 42, and the previous day, 44, and the cold has been accompanied by high humidity. Go figure! Being cold and dealing with damp tents, sleeping bags and clothes is a real bummer( a 60's word).
Quite surprising to me is how much more appealing Mississippi was compared to Louisiana. The roads were generally better, the farms and homes were neater and cleaner, lawns were well kept, and I saw very few rundown houses and businesses, and the towns seemed more well run with a lot more services. Alabama seems about the same. Maybe it's just the proximity to the Gulf and the tourist money it draws.
I think we have 9 more days of riding and we may have one more rest day. Tomorrow will be very short day. To get off the island heading east we will take a ferry and our next stop will be another beach spot 40 miles east,Gulf Beach, which is in Florida, about 15 miles SE of Pensacola.

At this moment, I can't recall how many days ago I took my big spill, and even though my riding is not hampered by the wounds( a bad cut on my elbow, a bruised right hand and annoying road rash on my hip), they are not healing very well.

Our blog has nearly 6500 hits. That is just incredible! Kudos to Taz for all the hard work she puts into it. I love it when we are tooling along at 17 or 18 mph and she sees a scene she wants to photograph, so she yells out, " I'm going to take a picture, you guys keep going", and so we do and just what seems like moments later she has caught us again. I think she has a small hidden motor on her bicycle!!

Well it's bedtime for me. Bob is already cutting z's. Stay tuned for 9 more days of adventure.
Basil

No comments:

Post a Comment