Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Thoughts from Basil

I thought I'd share and few thoughts after another great day of cycling. We left Lake Caballo this morning and for all practical purposes, pacelined for 60 miles to Las Cruses NM where we will stay tonight. This was 60 mile of practically flat terrian, What a relief after climbing to 8200 feet yesterday. Bob pulled for most of the way. I'm guessing our average speed was near 20 mph. I know I hit 25 riding at the back of the line. He is a very strong rider. Taz is our leader and coach, and what a wonderful benefit to having her with her ability to work on the bikes and give advice on eating and drinking to be able to sustain ones sself on a trek like this. Still I refuse to drink a Mtn Dew! Cindi is our flat queen. She has well over 10 flats already. She is also one of the Pickle Juice Gang.Pickle juice you ask? We discovered that it makes a fine recovery drink. She also rides a mean Specicialized. I can't keep up with her!
The road today took us through miles of gorgeous pecan orchards, cotton fields and fields of chilies. The town of Hatch is the chilie capital of NM we were told. There were certainly a lot of them as we rode along. The route took us along the Rio Grand, which we crossed several times. It doesn't seem so grand at all as there is very little water in it. Tomorrow we will be in the Great State of Texas, but I hate how those Cowgirls got lucky last night. They could only kick field goals!!! Damn. Later, Basil

No comments:

Post a Comment